Monday 12 October 2015

GIRL POWER- Heroine Exhibition By Tom Vandas






'I am an example of what is possible when girls from the very beginning of their lives are loved and nurtured by people around them. I was surrounded by extraordinary women in my life who taught me about quiet strength and dignity.'
Read more at http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/blogs/suzannah-ramsdale/543020/the-28-most-empowering-quotes-from-women-who-kickass.html#1l70WLma2eLRaqOj.99
"I Am Superwoman,
Yes i am... Yes you are
Even when im a mess,
I still rock up a vest,
With an S- on my chest..
Im superwoman.. Yes i am!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AphKUK8twg


"I am an example of what is possible when girls from the very beginning of their lives are loved and nurtured by people around them. I was surrounded by extraordinary women in my life who taught me about quiet strength and dignity." 

Those are famous words by Michelle Obama and lyrics of Superwoman, one of my best tracks by Alicia Keys... 

Words that were definitely echoed at the Heroine Photography Exhibition by Tom Vandas held at the British Institute on Thursday 1st October 2015. 


The evening started with the display of all these portraits of young women armed ready for combat... A very intriguing vibe, i thought to myself... Busy trying to know how all these portraits related to the theme HEROINE, i searched for the captions, eager to know how all these beautiful women were Heroines... But there were none... So i continued going through the portraits one after another looking for  some line of semblance...

As i continued, i bumped into a few art lovers here and there. After small talk, the only thing that lingered in my mind was the intrigue behind these portraits... I simply couldn't wait for the conversations!

After a short while, the conversations started.. We all got introduced to the beautiful ladies in the portraits one by one...

 "One of the primary reasons and inspirations for having this exhibit was to encourage young girls to have aspirations and for there to be more Heroines for young girls to look up to!" 

And there! It all made sense! The reasons and aspirations all stitched themselves together like a chain reaction!

What really made a woman to raise to be a female Clark Kent?... To be a HERO-INE? That was the question... Was it the guns? Was it the machetes?... (Both literal and symbolic) ? .... Or was it something that came from within...? Was it what Michelle Obama called quiet dignity?   

Whatever it was, it was a definite that we needed to have more conversations like these... because as a Chinese proverb puts it "Women hold half the Sky!!!" ;) Till next time!!! 






'I am an example of what is possible when girls from the very beginning of their lives are loved and nurtured by people around them. I was surrounded by extraordinary women in my life who taught me about quiet strength and dignity.'
Read more at http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/blogs/suzannah-ramsdale/543020/the-28-most-empowering-quotes-from-women-who-kickass.html#FmkxkQTYLE23S3b1.9"I am an example of what is possible when girls from the very beginning of their lives are loved and nurtured by people around them. I was surrounded by extraordinary women in my life who taught me about quiet strength and dignity 

No comments:

Post a Comment